Canyoneering is an adventure sport that takes place in the great outdoors. You are getting to go off the beaten path where most tourists, and even locals, will never go. As such, access to cellular service and modern communication is limited – but won’t it be great to get a break from a ringing phone! Additionally, access to definitive medical care is delayed when you are in the backcountry, so it is important that you be honest with yourself about your physical abilities and medical conditions. Here are the Participant Requirements we have set forth to reduce the risk to you and the rest of your canyoneering group on the day of your trip:
- Participants must be at least 12 years of age. Participants under the age of 18 should be actively accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- There is no specific weight minimum or maximum, but Participants must fit in to a climbing harness with a waist measurement between 18-45″ and a leg measurement between 10-28″.
- A good indicator that you are physically fit enough for canyoneering is that you can comfortably walk 3 miles unassisted on a rugged trail carrying a light pack, comfortably hike on uphill and downhill slopes, can climb or descend 5 flights of stairs, and can climb a ladder with ease.
- Participants must be comfortable at height. Rapelling or ropes experience is not required, but it is helpful.
- You cannot participate if you have a medical condition that could require urgent care (such as major heart problems or seizure disorders) or if you have a condition that could jeopardize yours or other participant’s safety. We also do not recommend that you participate if you are pregnant or have significant musculoskeletal problems – please seek the advice of your physician before booking your trip. If you need any fast-acting medications such as en epi-pen, diabetic glucose or an asthma inhaler it is imperative that you bring them along on your trip and inform your Guides.
- You cannot participate if you are under the influence of alcohol, drugs or any medication that could impair you in any way.